Types of Information Beyond 12 Collects
There are currently three categories of users on the Site: students, Beyond 12 support service staff, and Beyond 12 partners (e.g. administrative users from education institutions such as school districts or charter management organizations, individual K-12 schools, colleges/universities, college access and success organizations, scholarship organizations, and foundations). We collect three types of data about students from users: data that students provide to us, data collected automatically, and data provided by Beyond 12 partners. The types and amount of data collected will depend on the student and Beyond 12 partners.
Data Students Provide
Account Sign-up and Profile Information. In order to access the full range of features on the Site, students will be asked to create a MyCoach account. In order to set up the account, students may be asked to provide basic information that we may use to identify and/or contact them (“Personally Identifiable Information”), such as name, email, phone number, college campus, password, and a profile photo.
Survey Information. Students may be prompted to provide more details about their college career, including academic progress, career aspirations, and campus activities. This information will be used to customize content to provide students with better support and guidance.
Other Self-Reported Information. Students who are receiving direct support services from Beyond 12 staff (e.g. a content expert or college coach) may choose to disclose additional information that may be saved on the Site. This information will be used to customize the support services we deliver to students, assess services delivered directly by Beyond 12, and evaluate other support provided by Beyond 12 partners.
Information Collected Automatically
Like most web-based services, we may automatically receive and log information from a user’s browser or device. This could include the frequency and duration of visits to the Site. If users use the Site on different devices, we may link information collected from those devices to provide a consistent experience across devices.
Information we automatically collect include:
- Cookies and other similar technologies
- Device information
- Log information
A cookie is a small string of text that a website can send to a user’s browser. A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from a user’s hard drive, pass on computer viruses, or capture a user’s email address.
Cookies help us understand which parts of the Site are the most popular, where our visitors are going, how long they spend with each feature, and the types of mobile devices and browsers visitors are using to access the Site. We analyze these data for trends and statistics to improve the Site.
Cookies also help us save user preferences, such as a username, so that they do not have to be entered every time the user logs in.
How We Use This Information
We may use the non Personally Identifiable Information of our users and students for any legally permissible purpose, but we use Personally Identifiable Information only in the ways listed below.
We use Personally Identifiable Information provided by users in order to deliver, manage and improve the services available on the Site. For example, we may use Personally Identifiable Information:
- to register user accounts, respond to user inquiries, and fulfill user requests, such as retrieve a user’s password or respond to user requests for information or technical support;
- to communicate with users;
- for our administrative and internal business purposes, such as to help us operate, analyze, develop, deliver, maintain, and improve our products, services, content, and communications;
- to contact users regarding information relevant to our business and services;
- to engage in ordinary business, marketing, and relationship-building communications with users;
- in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings); and
- as we believe to be necessary and appropriate: (1) to comply with applicable law or respond to a subpoena, court order, government request, or other legal process; (2) to enforce our terms and conditions; (3) to protect our operations; (3) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, users, or others; and (4) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Sharing of Information Collected
- Other users an individual user shares and communicates with on the Site. Please keep in mind that information shared or content users voluntarily disclose on the app can be viewed, copied, and stored, and used by other people they share it with. We cannot control the actions of people with whom users choose to share information.
- Beyond 12 partners who are paying for student access to MyCoach. Beyond 12 partners who pay for the support students receive through MyCoach will receive updates with information that will help them better support current and future students, such as updated contact information and information about students’ academic progress.
- Third-party integrations on MyCoach. When users use third-party apps, websites, or other services that use, or are integrated with MyCoach, those third parties may receive information about what users post or share. For example, if users choose to post messages via the Facebook integration, this service may receive the information that they are sharing. Information collected by these apps, websites, or integrated services is subject to their own terms and policies
- Service providers. We work with other vendors, service providers, and other partners that perform certain tasks on our behalf. For example, email management, database hosting, and security. Generally, these service providers do not have the right to use users’ personal information beyond what is necessary to assist us.
- Analytics services. We use analytics services to help us understand how the Site is being used and to improve user experience. These services may collect, store, and use information in order to help us understand things like activities that occur within the application, usage and performance data, and from where the application was downloaded.
- Aggregated information and non-identifying information. We may share aggregated, masked information publicly, including with users, partners, funders, or the press in order to, for example, demonstrate how the Site is used or to promote the Site. Any information shared in this way will not contain any Personally Identifiable Information.
- Legal requirements. We may share information, including Personally Identifiable Information, with law enforcement agencies in response to a subpoena, to government agencies conducting an investigation, or if otherwise needed to protect the personal safety or rights of any individual, any of our affiliates, or us.
- With users’ consent. Other than the cases above, we will not disclose Personally Identifiable Information for any purpose without our users’ consent.
Information Visible to Other Users on the MyCoach App?
A limited version of a user’s profile is made visible to other student users on the MyCoach app. Students can see other students’ nicknames, photos, bios, and badges earned. Students will not be able to access each other’s Personally Identifiable Information such as email, mobile phone, or birthdate but may find additional information about other students or connect off-app on other social media platforms such as Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Tumblr, and Twitter.
Data Security, Management and Retention
The security of users’ Personally Identifiable Information is important to us. We work hard to protect our community and maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of, or access to personal information.
Although we make concerted good faith efforts to maintain the security of Personally Identifiable Information and we work hard to ensure the integrity and security of our system, no practices are 100% secure. We make no representations, warrants, or guarantees regarding the sufficiency of our security measures, and users use the Site and provide us with information at their own risk. Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use, or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify users electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that they can take appropriate protective steps. For example, we may post a notice on our homepage or elsewhere and may send email at the email addresses users have provided to us. Depending on where users live, users may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. If a user has reason to believe that his or her interaction with us is not secure, he or she can contact us as set forth below.
Data Management and Retention
At any time, users may review any information we keep about them or their students, and can request that we stop using and delete such information. This is done by emailing email@example.com.
If a user wishes to access all of the Personally Identifiable Information we have on file for him or her, he or she can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to guarantee complete access due to legal restrictions to protect other users or information that is confidential. We may not be able to fulfill requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort, or would be extremely impractical.
We will retain user information for as long as the account is active or as needed to provide services. After the account is deactivated, the information is archived (Archived Information) and will be accessible only by Beyond 12. We retain the right to delete any Archived Information.
When a user deletes an account, we delete the profile information and other content the user provided in the profile, such as name, username, password, and profile photos. Information the user shared with others, others shared about the user, or content other users may have copied and stored, is not part of the account and may not be deleted when the user deletes the account.
When a user edits or asks to have account information deleted, the changed or deleted information may nonetheless persist internally in our databases, for our administrative and recordkeeping purposes. Changing Settings options may not result in immediate changes to the Settings, which are subject to our operations and maintenance schedules. If a parent or legal guardian of a user under the age of 13 believe that Personally Identifiable Information of his or her child is on the Site in a manner that the parent or legal guardian has not authorized, the parent or legal guardian may contact us as set forth above.
Communications Users Will Receive From Beyond 12
If a user registered on/for the Site, provided an email or phone number to us, or otherwise opted into communications from us, we may send the user messages and updates regarding the account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Site, and information regarding products, features, or services from Beyond 12. These communications may include, but are not limited to, push notifications, SMS, social media updates, phone calls, email, and postal mail. If a user has an account with us, we will also use the email address associated with that account to contact him or her for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business.
Student users can always unsubscribe or opt out of communications by taking actions such as turning off push notifications on their devices, texting “STOP” to SMS outreach by Beyond 12, or emailing Beyond 12 to opt out of expert or coach support. Beyond 12 partner users can contact their account manager or email the general support email for assistance.
Do Not Track Requests
Our Site does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) requests. For more about DNT, please visit www.allaboutdnt.org.
Beyond 12 and the Site are operated in the U.S. If the user is located outside of the U.S., the user should be aware that any information provided will be collected in or transferred to the U.S. By using the Site and/or providing Beyond 12 with information, the user consents to that collection and transfer.
Entire Agreement; Severability
How to Contact Us; Opt Out and Removal Requests
A user can always decline to share Personally Identifiable Information or even block all cookies. However, it is important to keep in mind that this may prevent access to some features or cause some features to not function properly.
901 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA
Requests to opt out of receiving newsletter emails and other communications from Beyond 12 will be honored within 10 days of our receipt of a user’s request. Requests to remove Personally Identifiable Information collected from students via the Site which are properly submitted as indicated above will be honored within a reasonable time upon our receipt of a user’s request, unless doing so would conflict with Beyond 12’s legal obligations or unless Beyond 12 can otherwise anonymize or render invisible the information to prevent individual identification of the user. Note that removal may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the information from the Site or our records.